1/83 Artillery Update
1st Quarter 2021
1/83rd Unit News
1. Remembrances -
Recent and Upcoming Anniversaries of some of our 1/83rd Brothers who did not
make it home from Vietnam.
November 26th was the 29th Anniversary of the death of David Angelo Barbarino, a Veteran of "A" Battery (1970) who died 11/26/91 as a results of wounds sustained 4/13/70.
March 20th will be the 53rd Anniversary of the death of Joseph Cruz Baza, a Veteran of C Battery (1968).
April 13th will be the 51st Anniversary of the death of both Clifford Earnhardt, a Veteran of A Battery (1969-70).
December 29th was the 54th Anniversary of the death of Clarence E. Everett, a Veteran of HQ Battery (1966).
April 13th will be the 51st Anniversary of the death of Larry Francis, a Veteran of Service Battery (1969-70).
March 31st will be the 50th Anniversary of the death of Robert Lee, a Veteran of HQ Battery (1970-71).
More on David, Joseph, Clifford, Clarence, Larry, and Rober be found on our website.
Lest we Forget.
2. These Updates - Those of you who have been part of our group for several years know that these updates used to be more frequent than they currently are. These updates took the place of the many emails I used to send out years ago. Some of you thought I sent too many so I switched to weekly, then monthly then on a more random basis.
The reason for fewer updates now is because I don't get as much news, etc. from the group as I did in the past. Therefore, what I plan on doing going forward is do these updates quarterly. I will still be sending out emails for what I think are important topics in between the quarterly updates.3. Coronavirus - I hope that all of you and your families are well as we all are trying to cope with this terrible virus. The many unknowns about this virus are making it a very scary and unprecedented time in our lives, something that none of us have ever experienced. Our hope and prayers are that all of you will be safe and well and follow all the recommendations to help you avoid this virus. MASK UP!!
4. Photos on the website - Many of the photo shows that are on the website were created with software called Roxio Photoshow. Unfortunately this software was discontinued by Roxio as of December 31, 2020. I am now in the process of rebuilding these photo shows. There are 116 of these shows so this will be a long, drawn out process to get them converted.
If anyone tries to view one of the older shows, it will most likely not work. Roxio allowed me to export all the shows before the Dec 31 but in a format that will only allow them to be viewed on a Windows PC, not on a mobile device. The new format I will be using should also allow the shows to be viewed on mobile devices.
Any questions, let me know.
5. Book of Interest - Neal Schwartz (68-69) sent this message...
"This morning I was surprised, I got a message from a comrade from Vietnam. Check out the authorship on this eBook at Amazon. Any name seem familiar to you?"
7. National Museum of the United States Army opened its doors on November 11, 2020 - Click here for more details on the Museum. Ed. Because of the Coronavirus, the Museum is temporarily closed but keep it in mind for a future visit.
8. Support - Please let me know if anyone of you or your family have health situations so we can let everyone know of the need for our support.
9. News - if you have any good news that you want to share send it along. Having good news to share would be a real pleasure, as it seems like we are constantly only talking about sad news. Here is the latest 1/83rd News.
Interesting Links and More
1. Randy Foster (69-70) sent this message...
"A friend of mine who was also in RVN and 1/83 in 1970 sent this information to me. He asks that you apply a "old geezer" warning as to the exact accuracy of the statement. He says that the book is available at the public library and on Amazon.com.
Here's the information:
2. Bob Billiards, one of our Aussie members sent this video... WW2 - Bismark Convoy Smashed ! Allied Forces Victory Over Imperial Japanese Navy.
Ian Guy, one of
our Aussie members sent this video...
Pause Reflect Remember | Lest We Forget | British Army.
Ian also sent this interesting look at the 155mm Field Howitzer 77B: The Bofors Gun. Be sure to check out the gun crews actions.
4. An oldie but goodie if you are a Robin Williams fan, The Flag.
5. Dennis Blalock (67-68) sent this inspirational video. Watch it and remember it whenever you think you can't accomplish something... The Typewriter.
6. Don Aird (70-71) sent this story link, Fire! A Brief History of American Field Artillery
Did you Know
In 2004, Cincinnati Redsí outfielder Adam Dunn hit a home run so mighty it sailed clean out of the park, down the street, bounced off the bank of the Ohio River and landed smack on a piece of driftwood along the bank (which according to local geographers technically placed it over the state line); this made Dunnís home run hit the only homer in MLB to be hit in one state (Ohio) and land in another (Kentucky).
(Courtesy of How-To Geek Newsletter)
1. Please let me know if you come across any links in my website that are broken. With so much content, it is inevitable that links go out of date so let me know if you find one that does not work.
2. If you come across anything that you think may be a good addition to our website let me know. Also, if you have any questions or suggestions regarding the website, let me know.
3. Check out all the latest updates by looking at the website Table of Contents.
Vietnam Veterans of America
|1. VVA website|
Full Roster on Website - Check your entry on the Full Roster to make sure all your information is up to date. Notify me if any changes are necessary. If your email stops working, I cannot reach you if you have incomplete or incorrect contact details on the roster.
Please remember that all contact info that we have for our group can be found on the Full Roster. This is the best spot to start if you need to contact one of the group.
Your Personal Contact Information - Once again I am asking you to please be sure to let me know if your contact information has changed. I have had quite a few lately where either your email address or postal address is outdated and I was not notified. If your email address changes and you haven't provided a current postal address and phone number it makes it difficult or impossible for me to find you. Nothing is worse than losing someone just because of "paperwork" so keep me updated so I can keep the Full Roster up to date.
|Missing members of the 1/83rd||
Help us find those former 83rd members who haven't
found us yet!!
There is a long-standing page on our website where I list men that are either missing, inactive or trying to be located by someone in our group. I am asking everyone to review that page and let me know if you have updates you would like me to make.
I am sure that each of us has someone they would really like to reconnect with. If we all pitch in, we may find many more of our old buddies. Here are some ways to do that:
1. If you are in contact or have contact info for any 1/83rd guys please contact them and tell them about our group or at least tell me and I will contact them.
2. Look through the roster on the website and if you know of others who are not listed, let me know who they are. Also, if you see any incorrect or missing info (including your own entry) let me know.
3. If you have copies of old orders tucked away someplace, send me a copy so I can make sure those names are on the roster.
4. Sometimes all it takes is a name and location and we can find someone but the more details we know the better our chances.
|Rules & Regs||If anyone would like a current copy of the "Rules & Regs" document which has helpful information about using the website, let me know. Go to Contact Us and submit your request or email me directly.|
If you get an email from and it has a website link
included anywhere within the email, most times you should be able to just click
on the link and you will be taken to the website. Sometimes however, the link
will not work because, in sending you the email, the link is deactivated
although it is still usable. If this should happen, another way to use the link
is to copy and paste it into the address line on your browser. Please be sure to
let me know if you have any questions on this.
Please make sure that your email system allows emails to be received from both of my email addresses, email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org